10 MMA Gyms in Minneapolis: Know Before You Go
Finding a legitimate instructor can be a massive headache for those who want to train in martial arts. Even worse, it can be a time-consuming process that may end in frustration.
We understand we've been in the same shoes.
To fix this problem, we've created a list of Minneapolis's best martial arts schools.
1. Southside Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy
As a visitor to Southside Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy in Minneapolis, MN, I found the environment to be welcoming and supportive, with a focus on self-defense and fitness.
This academy is led by owner and professor Enrique Muniz, who started his martial arts journey at 15 to overcome personal challenges and develop self-discipline.
At Southside Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy, they offer a variety of programs to suit various skill levels and interests. The main programs include:
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Focusing on self-defense, ground-fighting skills, and grappling techniques, this program is available for both beginners and more advanced practitioners.
- Self-Defense: This program helps students develop practical self-defense skills and situational awareness in various environments.
- Fitness: In addition to martial arts training, the academy also offers fitness classes designed to improve cardiovascular health, flexibility, and overall physical fitness.
Some unique aspects of Southside Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy that stand out to me are their military discounts. This feature, combined with the academy's commitment to providing a safe and welcoming atmosphere for all students, makes it a standout choice for those interested in martial arts training.
In addition, this academy offers classes in the evenings from 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM, making scheduling more convenient for students with work or other daytime commitments.
2. Minnesota Kali Group
As a martial artist, I found Minnesota Kali Group (MKG) to be an excellent training facility, where the instructors are deeply knowledgeable and focus on integrating various arts to suit an individual's needs.
MKG has an international community, which means a diverse range of training methods and perspectives.
At MKG, they offer a variety of martial arts programs, including:
- Kali: A traditional Filipino martial art focusing on weapon-based combat and hand-to-hand techniques.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: A grappling-based martial art that emphasizes ground fighting and submission techniques.
- Muay Thai: A striking art originating from Thailand that utilizes fists, elbows, knees, and shins in a stand-up combat scenario.
The school also provides other arts to supplement the core programs, enriching the overall learning experience.
Some unique features of the Minnesota Kali Group include:
- Experienced Instructors: MKG has a team of seasoned teachers that have been in the martial arts world for many years, ensuring depth of knowledge transfer and technical expertise.
- International Community: With affiliated schools around the world, including countries like England, Japan, Spain, and Germany, MKG offers its students the opportunity to learn and connect with a global network of martial artists.
- Personalized Learning: At MKG, they recognize that each student's martial arts journey is unique and strive to integrate the various arts with the student's existing knowledge and skillset.
Minnesota Kali Group effectively caters to individuals seeking quality martial arts training and a supportive community in the Minneapolis area.
3. The Cellar Gym
I discovered that The Cellar Gym, located in Roseville, MN, was established in 2002 and has since expanded to offer more than just kickboxing.
The gym is family-owned by Chris and Jen Cichon and provides a variety of martial arts programs for both adults and youth.
At The Cellar Gym, they offer:
- Fitness Kickboxing: Suitable for beginners and advanced students.
- Muay Thai: The gym has classes designed for drills and advanced training.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ): Focused on grappling and ground fighting skills.
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA): Classes are available for both beginners and advanced students, and encourage cross-training in Muay Thai and BJJ.
For youth classes, they offer Kids BJJ and Kids Muay Thai broken into three age groups:
- Pre-school martial arts for 4-5 years old
- Kids martial arts for 6-8 years old
- Junior martial arts for 9-11 years old
What sets The Cellar Gym apart is its experienced coaching staff, including Chris Cichon, Ben Locken, Devlin Borders, and Bobby Lee.
It has grown in size and expanded its facility throughout the years while maintaining a family-oriented atmosphere and offering tailored programs for each age group.
4. M-Theory Martial Arts
At M-Theory Martial Arts, located in Saint Louis Park, Minnesota, I found a welcoming atmosphere with a focus on developing skills in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ).
Their expert instructors have earned the gym a reputation as one of the top MMA gyms in the Minneapolis area.
Here's a list of programs that I discovered at M-Theory Martial Arts:
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ): The primary focus of M-Theory, offering classes for both beginners and experienced practitioners.
- Kids' Programs: Designed to help children build character, discipline, and self-confidence while learning BJJ techniques.
Some unique features that caught my attention at M-Theory Martial Arts include:
- World-class instruction: With experienced and passionate trainers, M-Theory provides top-rated coaching for its members.
- Community-oriented environment: A friendly, supportive, and motivating atmosphere that encourages personal growth and camaraderie among students.
- Flexible schedule: The gym offers a variety of class times and days to accommodate busy lifestyles.
M-Theory Martial Arts is a great option for those looking to improve their Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu skills in the Minneapolis area.
5. Warrior's Cove Martial Arts & Fitness
At Warrior's Cove Martial Arts & Fitness, I find a welcoming environment suitable for everyone, from beginners to professional fighters.
The gym offers classes for men, women, and kids, ensuring that every member of the family can join in on the fun and learning.
The variety of programs at Warrior's Cove Martial Arts & Fitness caters to different interests and skill levels. Some of the classes I can take part in include:
- MMA-Jiujitsu-Kickboxing: A combination of mixed martial arts, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and kickboxing techniques.
- Women's Self-Defense: Classes focused on empowering women with the knowledge and skills necessary for personal safety in different situations.
- Kids & Family Classes: Designed for children aged 7 and above, these classes integrate parents into the learning process, promoting bonding and teamwork.
- Fitness Kickboxing: Focusing on improving cardiovascular fitness and overall strength through kickboxing exercises.
Warrior's Cove Martial Arts & Fitness sets itself apart from other MMA gyms in Minneapolis with some unique features:
- Free Class & Evaluation: New members are provided with a complimentary session with the head instructor to establish a personalized training plan tailored to meet specific goals.
- Safe Training Environment: With over 40 years of experience, the gym prioritizes safety in all aspects of training, ensuring that participants can progress at their own pace without risking injuries.
- Flexible Schedule: The gym offers a combination of daytime and evening classes on various weekdays, allowing members to train at their convenience.
6. Alliance Jiu Jitsu
At Alliance Jiu-Jitsu Minneapolis, I discovered a gym that provides a welcoming and engaging environment for learning Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ).
The instructors are skilled and the facility is well-maintained, offering a great experience for both beginners and experienced practitioners.
During my time at Alliance Jiu Jitsu, I noticed that they offer the following programs:
- Adult BJJ: Classes designed to help students develop strong fundamentals and advanced techniques in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
- Kids BJJ: Specially designed classes for children aimed at teaching self-defense, discipline, and confidence through the art of BJJ.
- Women's BJJ: Women-only classes that focus on self-defense techniques and strategies.
- Open Training: Free training time for students to practice their techniques and improve their skills.
What I find unique about Alliance Jiu Jitsu Minneapolis are:
World-class instructors: The gym is home to experienced and skilled instructors who have trained under the guidance of legendary BJJ practitioners Fabio Gurgel and Alexandre Paiva. This ensures that students receive high-quality instruction.
Team Alliance affiliation: Alliance Jiu Jitsu is part of the Team Alliance, which has won multiple World Team Championship titles. This affiliation allows students to be part of a prestigious network of BJJ practitioners.
Focus on community and support: The gym creates a strong sense of community by providing opportunities for students to engage with one another and build friendships through activities like open training and team events.
Free trial session: For those interested in exploring Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Alliance Jiu Jitsu Minneapolis offers a free one-on-one trial session with one of its instructors, giving potential students a taste of the training experience at the facility.
7. The Academy Eden Prairie
At The Academy Eden Prairie, I found a welcoming and supportive environment for people of all ages, skills, and fitness levels.
From beginners to experienced fighters, this martial arts academy provides the tools, experience, and knowledge needed to achieve your goals.
The Academy offers a variety of martial arts classes, including:
- Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ)
- Muay Thai
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
- Children's Martial Arts
With a selection of programs, I can assure you that there's a class suited for everyone, whether it's your first time trying martial art or you're a seasoned practitioner.
What sets The Academy Eden Prairie apart is its commitment to delivering safe and fun training for all.
I appreciated the professional and experienced trainers who focus on enhancing individual progress while maintaining a supportive team atmosphere.
8. Valhalla Combat Sports
At Valhalla Combat Sports, located in the Rogers area of Minneapolis, I found a great facility for training in various martial arts.
The gym provides a welcoming atmosphere for both beginners and seasoned fighters looking to improve their skills.
The gym focuses on Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and offers classes in a variety of martial art disciplines, including:
- Jiu Jitsu
- Muay Thai
- Catch as Catch Can
I discovered that they cater to people who want to train for cage fighting, as well as those who wish to learn the original art forms.
One aspect that sets Valhalla Combat Sports apart from other gyms is its dedication to providing authentic and comprehensive training in each discipline.
They also have a strong presence on social media, particularly on Facebook, where they have a significant following and consistently engage with their audience.
Additionally, Valhalla has hosted MMA and Pro Boxing events, showcasing its commitment to promoting and nurturing local talent.
While training at Valhalla Combat Sports, I appreciated the experienced instructors and the diverse range of classes offered.
9. Ludy's Boxing Gym
Ludy's Boxing Gym in Minneapolis is a remarkable place to practice boxing for anyone, regardless of their skill level.
The gym's professional and supportive environment has made it a popular choice within the Minneapolis community.
At Ludy's Gym, they offer classes for boxing enthusiasts of all levels. Their diverse class schedule includes:
- Boxing (All Levels): These sessions cater to beginners, intermediate, and advanced boxers, ensuring that everyone finds a suitable training class.
- Boxing Fundamentals (Beginner): This class is specifically designed for beginners to learn the basics of boxing and build a strong foundation.
- Kids Boxing (Ages 6-14): This program is tailored for young boxers, helping them learn the sport while focusing on discipline and sportsmanship.
In addition to these classes, Ludy's Gym also offers HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) and strength training classes for those looking to improve their overall fitness.
One notable aspect of Ludy's Gym is their belief that boxing should be accessible to all, allowing members to train competitively from the ground up.
Also, members can conveniently book classes online through platforms like ClassPass.
Ludy's Gym is more than just a fitness center; it's a platform to nurture and develop champions in boxing, with a focus on dedication, hard work, and the spirit of competition.
10. Hive Martial Arts
At Hive Martial Arts, I found an inclusive community that works together to become their best selves.
I discovered that Hive Martial Arts offers a variety of programs suited for different age groups and skill levels.
They provide training for community members, from kids to adults, helping them excel socially and in life.
The programs available include martial arts classes, boot camps, and summer camps. They also offer online specials like 2 weeks of free classes paired with a free uniform for newcomers.
One of the key aspects that set Hive Martial Arts apart from other gyms in Minneapolis is its commitment to inclusivity.
Their goal is to help individuals improve not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.
By fostering a supportive environment, members of Hive Martial Arts become more than just students; they grow into a tight-knit community who learn and grow together.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do MMA gyms in Minneapolis compare in terms of cost?
The average monthly membership fee I have seen ranges from $100 to $200 per month, but it's essential to check with each gym to determine the specific costs as well as any additional fees or requirements.
It's also essential for you to be aware of the price of the equipment. Some gyms may require you to purchase gear such as gloves, gi, and shin guards, whereas others may include these items in their membership fees.
Lastly, some MMA gyms in Minneapolis offer discounts for students, military personnel, or families. Make sure to ask about these discounts as they can help make the cost of training more manageable.